Saturday, October 11, 2008

Learning to Sew

When I was about Gwen's age my mom started teaching me how to sew. My first project was a jump suit (shorts) with a huge blue pull zipper in the front. I thought I had done such a great job on this outfit. I wore it to school on Fridays (because we had to wear dresses on all the other days of the week) and loved them because I could spin around the bars without my skirt flying up! It was years later that I found out that my mom would unpick everything I had sewn that day at night while I was asleep and resew it correctly. She wanted my first project to look nice and here I thought I had done all the work.
Our ward is doing a service project of sewing wall hangings and blankets for orphanages. Gwen sewed the blue one and did a heart design in the middle with stripes. I think she did an amazing job. We are going to have to do a few more projects so she gets even better.

0 comments: