Monday, November 17, 2008

All Together Again!

The Brockbank Family ~ November 2008
When Harold and I started having children, it always amazed me how complete our family felt at each stage. It was fun to have just Ben and enjoy the newness of being a parent. I couldn't imagine what it would be like with more than one child. Then Bryan came along and for many years it was my two boys! As Brandon, then Bradley and finally Blake arrived we welcomed each new son with love and excitement.
While each stage of family felt complete, I always knew that there were more children to join our family. I would go to the park with my boys and always be looking for one more child. When Blake was born by cesarean section the doctor encouraged me to be done with my family because of my age. But I knew there was at least one more child for me. When I was pregnant with Gwen I knew that this would be our last child -- boy or girl! (Lucky for me it was a GIRL!)
The same thing has happened in reverse as my boys have graduated from high school and gone on to college and missions. It feels right for them to move on with their lives and our family at home changes as each one has left.
That doesn't mean I don't enjoy having my family all together because I do. When I was in high school I read a story in the newspaper about a family with 17 children and they were all together for the first time. I couldn't imagine not being together with your entire family. My father then commented to me that he could only remember all of his siblings being together only 3 times (and two of those were at his parents' funerals.) There are 10 children in my dad's family and his oldest sister was married when he was born. Although the brothers and sisters had been with each other, there had not been many occasions when they had all been together.
Although I only have 6 children, I have come to realize how difficult it can be to all be together sometimes. It has been great over the past couple of weeks to have all of us together a couple of times. We have taken a few pictures and even had a professional one done. (I have a feeling this might be the last one with just the 8 of us -- no that does not mean Ben or Bry has found someone special!) Until that picture is ready, here is one of us when we were all together for the first time in over 3-1/2 years!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's weird to hear someone else have that same experience of counting children and feeling like there is another one- I had that before Brett- not so much now:) Very nice picture and post!

amberjill said...

i love this post! i hope my mom reads it!! so, if it doesn't mean that ben or bry has found that "special someone" what does it mean??? are you kicking ben out of the family!?!? ;) i mean, if you aren't adding, who are you subtracting? does that mean gwen is now mine? just wondering

Melanie said...

This is such a sweet picture and such a sweet tribute to families. You seem like such a great mom--I didn't say perfect, but great none-the-less.

JoRae aka Lolae said...

I am so glad you get to be together. I love being with my family, I can't imagine not having them to hang out with.